Saturday, October 20, 2007

Dear Neighbors....

I'm sorry if you were awoken this morning, around 9 am, by an annoying car horn on your street. You see, my husband and I pulled in the driveway in his car holding our fresh brews of Starbucks. We open the doors to get out and the car alarm starts going off. Very shocked, we panic, my husband presses every button on his keychain "clicker" while I'm yelling, "PRESS THE BUTTONS!" Waves of embarrassment run over us as we CAN NOT get the car to stop going off! I get the idea that maybe it just needs to be turned on and then it will finally be satisfied with our frustration peaking. He tosses me the keys, I, (careful not to spill my venti/non-fat/white mocha/no whip latte - wouldn't that have just ruined everything!?!?!?), plunge into this noisy beast and turn the motor on..... no dice, alarm still sounding.
So this has probably been at least a minute gone by now, (of course feeling more like 10 minutes), with this relentless, commanding alarm! Even though the sound didn't cease when I started the car, the only other thing I could think of was "you have to drive away!" So I just had visions of my husband driving down the street, not only waking up our immediate neighbors on either side, but parading the noise down the whole area, welcoming everyone to this beautiful fall, weekend morning! (What could be more ideal?) - but we couldn't think of another alternative, we were a little stressed! Maybe it would stop after remembering it's a car meant to be driven, not an alarm clock!
So I grab my things to go into the house to hide out while sending my dear husband out into the wild world of taming the horn, (don't ya know I'm sweet like that, it was his car, so he would have to figure out the solution - I gave him a good idea though - DRIVE!)
As I'm walking past him on the drive way, I pass my car, notice its lights flashing....that's odd, why would my car respond to Stuart's car alarm by flashing its lights? Is it as annoyed as we are to his alarm sounding???

Um, *NO*, it was MY car that had the incessant alarm!!!!!

Evidently as I was getting out of Stuart's car, something in my purse pressed on the alarm button on my keychain "clicker." I just died laughing...after all that time cursing his car...(again, sorry neighbors, I'm sure you didn't think it was that funny...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious! Driving the car to make the horn stop honking sounds exactly like something Michael Scott might do! Hehe!

Christy said...

I am laughing so hard! I love that story Julie, that sounds like something I would do as well. Love it, thanks for sharing.