Friday, August 8, 2008

Summer Drink

On the morning of J's senior session, we had a bit of a weather issue. The minute his session was supposed to begin, the heavens open up. No problem, his mom and I, after talking on the phone, agree that we'll just wait in our cars a bit to see if it clears up as the radar claims it would shortly. The rain does stop pretty quickly, but it is still thundering and lightning heavily, so we wait a bit more in the safety of the car. After 15 mins. or so of no rain and just thunder/lightning, we decide to go ahead and risk being zapped and start his session. We happen to meet on the Denton square under an awning, (there are only awnings over a couple stores where we were), and as soon as we're ready to head out, RAIN starts again! Thankfully we have shelter, and there are actually a couple places to shoot where we were stranded, but the dark skies limit my complete potential! After 10 or so more minutes, it is still raining, but just a sprinkling, and with the humidity creeping up, (aka: sweatiness), our best option was to just go with Mother Nature and embrace her gift of the summer drink.

And here are our results:


Can I just say thank you to the rain for creating this beautiful light?!

**(Which actually brings up a good point: if it is raining on the morning of your session, I will call you, and depending on how long it appears the rain is going to stick around, we do not necessarily have to reschedule. And I would never cancel an entire day before a shoot because rain is predicted, you never know what our fickle weather will end up doing!) -- Sorry for the tangent there!




J was a tough cookie to get to crack a smile. What you don't see here is his mom, to my right, who just accidentally slipped, which of course forced him to give way to the pearly whites!




I think I've stated before how when we have urban sessions, and my clients are following me, I sort of become a sporadic driver, based on what we happen upon during our drive. (My shoot locations are thought out generally, but I'm always open for something new!) For this shot, we were leaving the parking lot of another destination when I see these awesome, painted curbs! Of course something as fun as this made my arms decide to whip my steering wheel over and park oblongly to get to photograph here. (I'm sure J, driving behind me, probably thought I forgot something at our last locale causing me to come to such a halt!)








J's class of 2009 is the first graduating class of students at Denton's new Guyer High School to start as freshman and graduate as seniors.












I don't know why, but each time I look at this picture, I think of going through a box of old pictures in your grandparent's attic, and finding a picture of your grandfather in the 1930's playing football. It just has an "old-timey" feel to me.








Congratulations, J!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

..if I was 9 years younger.....