Sunday, July 8, 2007

718

That's the number of pictures I took on our ONE WEEK trip to Juneau, Alaska... yes, my husband is a bit worn out from having to be my eternal subject, but ya know, how often are you surrounded by some of the most overwhelming beauty on God's green Earth???

On the way to our layover in Seattle, we flew past a little landmark..... Mt. Rainier.

Upon arrival in Juneau on Saturday, we greeted the folks, walked the dog amongst the brisk northern air, (...yeah, I, knowing it would be a bit cooler there, did think to bring a jacket on the plane up, but when we landed in 59 degree weather, the short sleeve shirt/skirt/flip-flops I chose to wear didn't quite cut it), then for dinner, we feasted on a delicious venison stew brought over by good friends of Stuart's dad.

Sunday was SALMON FISHING!




Stuart and his pop each caught one! As for me on the other hand, I had the moment of opportunity....then the HUGE fish that it was, (don'tcha know it must have been 30 lbs. or so), got away...
:(



Oh well - her sisters, (once marinated in butter, brown sugar, and garlic - yes, our hosts kept us wonderfully fed! Too good! They are awesome chefs!) were meltably goood!

On Monday morning ~


we decided we needed to have a little adventure hike! So the in-laws went in to work and we took the East Glacier trail that loops near Mendenhall Glacier.


The Tongass National Forest is part of the nation's largest temperate rain forest. And beautiful. Did I mention beautiful?


I've never seen such a creation as this before!


Everything was so lush, and HUGE!
(Other than the pathway...) it seemed so untouched. It was like a secret that, when you put the effort to search for it, you're privileged to have its beauty revealed before you.



We had so much fun exploring! It was 2.8 miles and took us about 2 hours to complete, (including several stops for photo opps. and such - we're somewhat athletic)...


Except that I decided to check out one of the several little babbling waterfalls.... yeah, moss is slippery! It was hard getting up, and this is my husband's effort to help, he snaps a memory of this clumsy excuse of one who calls herself "outdoorsy"!


To show a reference to its mass - see the little dots of people below the glacier?



After our hike ~

with wobbly knees, we went downtown to meet his parents for lunch.


Picking them up first at their cute little shop.

That was just Sat. - Mon.!
I don't know what I'm going to do! I still have 4 more days to share! (I'll try to keep those shorter!)

No comments: